top of page

COVID-19 & Eviction Information

EVICtion information

Access the CDC Declaration Form and stay up-to-date on the current eviction moratorium.

Rental Assistance

Financial assistance resources for renters in Leon County 

Links to assistance

Find direct links to Legal Aid, rental assistance and an eviction form builder.

Emergency shelter resources

Access resources on emergency housing options.

Eviction Information

Eviction Information

The information provided below is not a substitute for legal advice. The laws described here may change without notice. Last updated 8/31/2021
The CDC Eviction Moratorium Expired – What Are My Rights?

In September 2020, the CDC issued an Order declaring a moratorium on most evictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Order expired August 26, 2021. There are very few protections for tenants facing eviction.

What must a landlord do in order to evict a tenant legally for nonpayment of rent?

  • A landlord is prohibited from using “self-help” measures to evict a tenant.

  • To legally evict a tenant, a landlord must send all required notices, file an eviction lawsuit in
    court, get a judgment authorizing eviction, and then request a sheriff’s eviction if the tenant
    doesn’t voluntarily vacate. A landlord cannot evict a tenant without a court order.

  • Within 5 business days after being served the summons and lawsuit, a tenant must: 1) file a
    response to the lawsuit, and 2) deposit into the court registry all unpaid rent or file a motion to
    determine rent.

  • Tips: Go to for assistance drafting a response to an eviction lawsuit. If
    you have an application for rent assistance pending, notify the court in writing and attach proof.

My landlord sued me during the pandemic and the court stayed the eviction. What happens now?

  • The court might set a status hearing to inquire about your circumstances;

  • The court might require you to deposit all unpaid rent into the registry to avoid an eviction

  • The court might set your case for a final hearing to determine whether you still owe any rent; or

  • The landlord might file a motion requesting a “default judgment” for failure to deposit all
    unpaid rent.

  • If you have an application for rent assistance pending, notify the court in writing and attach

I’m still behind on the rent, what are my options?

  • If you are a tenant who can’t pay the rent, ask your landlord to give you more time to pay
    your rent.

  • For your protection, get any agreement with the landlord in writing. Do not sign the agreement
    unless you understand everything in the agreement.

  • When negotiating a payment plan, make sure the agreement includes:

    • The date(s) and amount(s) of all the payments needed to bring your account to a zero balance;

    • Whether the payment plan includes the rent that will become due during the payment plan;

    • What will happen if you miss a payment; and

    • A promise from your landlord that it will not take further legal action against you.

  • If your landlord has a multifamily Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac mortgage in forbearance, the landlord
    might not be able to evict you yet and is required to notify you in writing of your rights.

Where can I locate rental assistance?

  • Contact our local 2-1-1 Big Bend (by dialing 2-1-1) for help locating rent assistance. You may also be able to apply
    for the FL emergency rent assistance program at:

Eviction Defenses (1).png

This fact sheet is for general education only. It is not intended to be used to solve individual problems.
If you have specific questions, contact a lawyer.

Further Resources

How to Navigate an Eviction with your Landlord
Your Rights as a Renter Facing Eviction
Our Florida Rental Assistance Checklist
Our Florida Rental Assistance Document Checklist
Common Defenses of Eviction and the Eviction Process
Justice Scale

Apply Online for Assistance

The Legal Aid Foundation of Tallahassee is working closely with the Legal Services of North Florida to respond to eviction and housing issues. This link will allow you to apply for Legal Services of North Florida. If they are unable to assist you they will refer you to us. You can also apply by phone by calling 

(850) 385-9007.


Eviction Answer Builder

This guided interview will create an eviction response for you. Make sure to have your court papers ready, since we’re going to be answering questions about them. The program has been updated to include COVID-19 related defenses. 

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is being created.


Rent & Utility Bill Assistance

OUR Florida – Florida’s federally funded emergency rental assistance program --
provides renters who qualify with relief on unpaid bills.
To learn more and start your application, visit 

Emergency Resources for Renters 

Emergency Resources for Renters

Direct Emergency Assistance Program (DEAP)

  • The level of rental assistance is determined by the number of bedrooms within a home

  • Utility assistance is limited to the amount required to avoid disruption of services for the next 30 days.

Contact: (850) 606-1900

Online Application:


Leon County Veterans Emergency Assistance Program (VEAP)

  • Provides immediate rental/mortgage assistance, utilities, home fuel, temporary shelter, and transportation to eligible Leon County residents that are veterans and served a minimum of 90 days in the U.S. Military

  • The level of rental assistance is determined by the number of bedrooms within a home

  • Utility assistance or home fuel is limited to the amount required to avoid disruption of services for the next 30 days.

  • Temporary shelter of up to $65 a night for up to three nights in a hotel or non-congregate shelter will be provided.

  • Transportation up to the equivalent cost of a round-trip intercity coach service (i.e. Greyhound).

Contact: (850) 606-1900

Online Application:

Big Bend Homeless Coalition

  • Program has funding for rent, mortgage, and utility assistance.

  • You must be at risk for homeless, be past due on rent.

Contact: (850) 792-9415

Calls are only taken Monday and Wednesdays from 9am-1pm. Do not leave messages as staff does not have access to return calls.

Our Florida

  • Provides emergency rental assistance to Florida residents through the Florida Department of children and Families

  • You must earn at income at or below 80% of the area’s medium income, received unemployment or experienced a loss of income or incurred significant costs due to COVID-19 and are at risk of losing your home

Apply Online:

Contact: 833-493-0594

More information: OurFlorida.Com

Elder Care Services, Inc.

  • Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP) aids in home energy emergencies for low-income households with at least one person age 60 and older.

Contact: 850-921-5554

The Salvation Army Tallahassee

  • Offers utility assistance up to $400 on a current bill.

  • Appointments are required and you must meet income guidelines and be impacted by COVID-19

Contact: 850-222-0304

Calls are only accepted Monday from 8am to 1pm, have utility bill in hand when calling and do not leave messages as staff cannot return calls.

Capital Area Community Action Agency

  • Offers utility assistance under the Utility Crisis Assistance Program

  • The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program is available for households that make up to 150% of the poverty level.

Apply online:

Contact: 850-222-2043

ECHO Outreach Ministries

  • The Emergency Resources Program can provide an array of basic necessities and services to help those experiencing poverty, homelessness or any other crisis situation.

  • They offer counseling on housing assistance and finding housing options that work for you.


Contact: (850) 224-ECHO (3246)

Jericho Outreach Ministry

  • Offers emergency financial assistance to those who are delinquent on their bills

Contact: 850-975-3733

Catholic Charities of Northwest Florida

  • Provides emergency financial assistance, case management, guidance, and support to those in poverty. Applications are necessary.

Contact: 850-222-2180

Please call on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9AM-11AM to schedule an appointment.



  • Provides financial resources to women who are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.


Anchor 1

Emergency Shelter Resources

Kearney Center for Comprehensive Emergency Services: provides emergency shelter and meals for single men and women

Phone: 850-792-9000

Address: 2650 Municipal Way

Capital City Youth Services Emergency Shelter: provides a 24 hour short term residential program for homeless youth age 10-17

Phone: 850-576-6000 Ext. 1

Address: 2407 Roberts Ave.

HOPE Community Family Emergency Shelter (Big Bend Homeless Coalition): provides emergency shelter for families

Phone: 850-792-9433

Address: 2729 W. Pensacola St.

Refuge House: provides emergency shelter, transitional housing, and overall support for survivors of domestic and sexual violence.

Phone: 1-800-500-1119 or 850-681-2111

Housing Services

Brehon House: Housing and support for homeless, pregnant women aged eighteen or older with one child aged three years or younger


Phone: 850-656-7110

Westgate Community/Comprehensive Emergency Services Center, Inc.: Housing for individual adults, housing options based on income, assessment is required prior to housing

Phone: 850-567-0624

Chelsea House/Good Samaritan Network: Transitional facility for single women and families, faith-based


Phone: 850-217-1113

The Living Harvest/Serenity House: Alcohol and drug free faith-based rehabilitation center for men


Phone: 850-900-5930

City Walk Urban Mission Transition Home: Transitional housing for ex-offenders


Phone: 850-528-3909

Making Miracles Group Home: Faith-based transitional group home for pregnant young women and teens


Phone: 850-727-3304

Home Plate/Home Place at Balkin/A Place Called Home: Referral-necessary, program for chronically homeless individuals with a disability


Phone: 850-576-5566

Maryland Oaks: Housing for single women with children, Section 8 vouchers accepted


Phone: 850-412-0016

bottom of page